Ross Road News Extraordinaire
Volume No. 2, Issue No. 4
Today’s Top Story: Hippie Days Are Here Again.
Just one sleep until Friday, June 12, 2015, so rest up for our Spring Carnival be-in! Get funky and wear something fun, colourful and fashion backward. The theme as you all know is 60s retro so let’s have some fun with it!
Dunk Tank. Not only will we have some Grade 7s stepping up for this nervy challenge, we will have Ross Road teachers, M. Ponton and Mr Choi, and supervision aide Ms. P. on the platform. Come on kids—wind up and watch them swim!
Community games. Sack races, three-legged races and the all-time favourite —T U G O F W A R. There will be a play-by-play announcer for each event to capture the drama and enliven the fun. No tickets are needed to play, this is a free event for everyone to join in.
Music Entertainment. We couldn’t have Hippie Days without some groovy sounds filtering through the air. This year we will have a rock band and bagpipe musicians as our musical guests for the Spring Carnival.
Here’s more on what you need to know to get the most out of our carnival.
- MYSTERY BAGS: The popular mystery bags will be offered in two openings at 5:30 and then again at 6:30. So if you miss the first time slot come by later. We do need more Mystery Bags to ensure every child gets one. Please drop off your creations at the lobby in the marked box by 5 pm Friday.
- PONY RIDES: You’ve rode a bike and run around on the playground, now’s your chance to saddle up! This year we will have three ponies for this popular event.
- TICKETS: Tickets are only $1 each and will be available for purchase the day of the Spring Carnival. See the attached list for a breakdown of the tickets you will need.
- COOK SHACK: Come hungry for some tasty food at the Cook Shack: burgers, frankfurters, snow cones, slushies and an assortment of cold non-alcoholic drinks. No cash is needed, just use the same tickets as at the booths.
- RAFFLE BASKETS: You can either buy a ticket to enter to win or use the popsicle sticks you earn at every booth to try to win one of our fabulous prizes. Three popsicle sticks will entitle you to one raffle ticket. Some are for kids and others for adults. We have Lego sets, PS4 games, fabulous hair care products and LOTS of adult grape juice! See below for more info about popiscle sticks!
Help Wanted Ads
- More volunteers are needed for the class booths. Please contact your class representative to sign up and help make our carnival a success.
- Baked Goods for Cake Walk: The Cake Walk is always one of the most popular booths. On the day of the event, please drop off home-baked goods as well as store-bought items by 5pm at the school.
- Mystery Bags: We do need more Mystery Bags to ensure every child gets one. Please drop off your creations at the lobby in the marked box by 5 pm Friday.
- Cook Shack Hands. Skills required – grill ready and steady. We need two volunteers from 3-5pm, two from 5-6:30pm, two from 6:30-8pm and two from 8-10pm. Please contact Tamrah to sign up.
Please contact the Spring Carnival Coordinator, Tamrah Corben at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer, donate and for any questions.
Here’s what you need to know about Popsicle Sticks!
The following booths will give a coloured popsicle stick to every participant who tries the activity (whether you win or lose). Please let your children know that once they have three coloured popsicle sticks, they can go to the Raffle Basket table and redeem their popsicle sticks for 1 ticket to enter a Raffle Basket draw.
- Baseball Toss
- Kiddie Hi Striker
- March of Penguins
- Bean Bag Toss
- Soccer Shoot Out
- Racing Ponies
- Ring Toss
- Kick and Score
- Bouncy Castle
- Face Painting
- Crazy Hair
- Pony Rides
- Cake Walk
- RCMP Activity
- Dunk Tank
- Cinimazoo/Urban Safari (Mme Marafon’s class) from 6-7:30pm
The following booths will NOT give out popsicle sticks:
- Book Sale
- Cotton Candy
- Mystery Bags
- Community Events