It’s time to make our votes count. The most meaningful levels of government to our daily lives are our local governments (city councillors and school trustees) and yet, we usually have to work the hardest to become educated voters about local politics due to inadequate media coverage. This posting is an effort to distill the information so that we can make an informed choice on Election Day, November 19, 2011.
Below is information on:
- The NVPAC all-candidates debate
- The role of the Board of Education
- Candidate Nominations (school trustees)
- Other resources
1. ALL-CANDIDATES DEBATE
Mark your calendars, there will be an all-candidates debate for the school trustees brought to you by the NVPAC. An all-candidates debate is an excellent forum to learn more about the candidates and is open the public.
Hosted by North Vancouver PAC
ALL-CANDIDATES DEBATE (School Trustees)
Wednesday, November 9th
7 pm at Sutherland Secondary School
Trustees have an active and important role in setting direction for our schools. Over this last term Trustees have dealt with $10 million in district budget cuts, closed schools, renovated schools, re-organized special programs and set in place a new strategic plan for the School District.
This is your chance to meet and ask questions of the candidates that could be deciding the direction of the school district for the next three years.
North Vancouver School District Trustees’ webpage:
For more info, contact David Whitehead, NVPAC Vice-Chair: email@example.com
2. THE ROLE OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
The primary functions of the Board of Education are:
- to set local policy for the effective and efficient operation of schools
- to approve local courses and textbooks
- to hire and assign teachers, supervisory personnel and administrative officers
- to establish teachers’ conditions of work
- to manage school district property
- to prepare and approve operating and capital budgets.
3. CANDIDATE NOMINATIONS
Below is a list of the candidates. Click here to download a comprehensive table of information including additional phone numbers, mailing address, email addresses and websites for each candidate.
District Trustee Candidates (4 to be elected)
- NORM BINION tel: 778-868-8333 (c)
- BARRY FORWARD tel: 604-649-8040
- CYNDI GERLACH tel: 604-987-6608 (h)
- MIKE MCGRAW tel: 604-417-9385 (h)
- FRANCI STRATTON tel: 604-985-6980 (h)
City Trustee Candidates (3 to be elected)
- LISA BAYNE tel: 604-984-8644
- CRIS DORAIS tel: 604-838-8157 (h)
- JOHN HARVEY tel: 604-986-3025 (h)
- CHRISTIE SACRE tel: 604-986-9970 (h)
- SUSAN SKINNER tel: 778-835-5307
- MARY TASI tel: 604-985-5590 (h)
- IAN YOUNG tel: 604-721-7743
Here are some links you might find useful:
- District of North Vancouver:
- City of North Vancouver:
- North Vancouver School District Trustees’ webpage:
- North Vancouver PAC (District PAC) website:
- North Vancouver District Voter Information page:
If you have any questions, please contact us through email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your attention,